A Prayer

Dear Lord,

Thank You for bringing an old, familiar person back into my life in such an unexpected way. You know all the history between us—the good memories, the awkward parts, the things left unfinished, and everything I still wonder about.

And Lord… apparently two people who spend all day teaching children to use their words need to take some of their own advice. 

Give me courage when I see him. Help me not overthink a simple question until it becomes enormous in my head. If I get a natural opportunity, help me simply say what I want to ask:

“How long are you going to be here?”

Help me listen to his answer instead of jumping ten steps ahead.

Thank You for every smile and every “hey.” They may be small things, but they've meant something to me. And if it's my turn to take one small step and actually use a complete sentence, give me the courage to do it. 

But after I take my turn, Lord, help me leave room for him to take his.

If a friendship is meant to grow again, let it be mutual, healthy, peaceful, and appropriate. I don't want to force something You haven't asked me to force. Let conversations happen naturally. Let both of us feel comfortable. And if there are things from our shelter days that eventually need to be talked about, give us the right time and the right words.

Most of all, quiet my need to know everything that's happening in his head. I can't read his mind, and I don't need to. Help me pay attention to what is actually happening instead of everything I can imagine.

And Lord, if we can teach kids to communicate, take turns, be patient, and use their words…

please help their two stubborn grown-ups do the same. 

One smile, one “hey,” one question, one conversation at a time.

In Jesus' Name, Amen. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Hearted Person- A Poem

Summer of Peace- A Poem

A Prayer for Teachers about Spiritual Warfare