Our Two Perspectives on Kids Now

Something I’ve been thinking about is how different Nathan’s and my perspectives on children might be now.

Twelve years ago, we were doing similar work at the children’s shelter. Nathan worked with the boys and I worked with preschool, but we were both approaching children from fairly similar staff roles.

Now things are different.

I’ve spent all these years working directly with children in classrooms and child-development settings. My brain has learned to look at development, routines, communication, sensory needs, transitions, independence, learning, behavior, and functional skills.

When a child is struggling, I might immediately start wondering:

What happened right before this?

Is the child overwhelmed?

Is the environment too much?

Is the task developmentally appropriate?

Can the child communicate what they need?

Is there a sensory need involved?

What skill are we expecting that the child may not have yet?

How can I change what I’m doing to help this child succeed?

Nathan may look at that exact same child through a counseling and mental-health perspective.

His questions could be completely different from mine.

What is this child feeling?

Is something worrying them?

What is this behavior communicating emotionally?

Are relationships affecting what’s happening?

Does the child know how to identify and express the emotion?

What coping skills could help?

Is there something happening underneath the behavior that isn’t obvious in the classroom?

Of course, I don’t actually know how Nathan thinks about children today. That’s something only he can tell me.

But that’s what makes me so curious.

Imagine the same child throwing their work down and crawling underneath a table.

My classroom brain might immediately think, “Something about this task, environment, transition, communication, or sensory experience isn’t working.”

Nathan’s counseling brain might notice an emotional piece I hadn’t considered.

Then instead of either person having to be “right,” we could put the two perspectives together.

I could say, “This is what I’ve been seeing throughout the school day.”

He could say, “This is what I’m noticing from a mental-health perspective.”

And together the question becomes:

“What does this child need from us?”

That’s teamwork.

Not one person standing above another.

Not one person knowing everything.

Two people bringing different experiences to the same table and being willing to learn from each other.

And that’s what makes the difference between 2014 and 2026 so interesting to me.

In 2014, Nathan and I were two coworkers doing similar jobs with different groups of kids.

In 2026, we could potentially be looking at children from two very different professional perspectives.

Teacher/para and child development.

Counseling and mental health.

Different lenses.

Different experiences.

Different things we’ve learned over twelve years.

But still the same basic goal:

Help the kid.

Maybe one of the neatest things that could ever come from seeing Nathan again would be hearing him say something about a child and realizing, “I never thought about it that way.”

And maybe someday I could say something that makes him think the exact same thing.

Because twelve years later, neither one of us has to know everything.

Maybe we just know different things now.

And those different things could fit together pretty well.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Hearted Person- A Poem

Summer of Peace- A Poem

A Prayer for Teachers about Spiritual Warfare