Learning a New Way to Care

Tonight I realized that maybe one of the biggest things I’m learning through all of this is a completely different way of caring.

I’ve always cared with my whole heart, and usually my heart gets there much faster than my mind does. When someone matters to me, my instinct is to do something—to reach out, figure things out, fix things, hold on, or make sure I don’t lose the person.

But I’m learning that caring doesn’t always require action.

I can care deeply about someone without chasing them.

I can miss someone without immediately reaching for them.

I can hope they remain in my life without trying to control how that happens.

I can want answers and still give them time to come.

And I can care enough to leave room for the other person to choose me as a friend, too.

That’s especially difficult when something feels like a second chance. Part of me wants to scream, “I already lost twelve years! I’m not wasting another chance!”

But maybe patience isn’t wasting the second chance.

Maybe patience is how I protect it.

I’ve already done something brave. I acknowledged someone who mattered to me and opened the door again. I don’t have to drag him through that door. If there’s going to be a real friendship again, there has to be room for him to walk through it himself.

And maybe that’s what I’m learning:

My heart can be ahead without controlling my feet.

My heart gets to tell me who and what matters. My mind gets to help me decide what to do with those feelings. My values and boundaries get a voice too.

I don’t have to become someone who cares less.

I need to become someone who knows how to carry big feelings with steady hands.

I can care without possessing.
I can hope without chasing.
I can love someone’s presence without depending on it.
I can leave room for uncertainty.
I can protect my marriage and myself while still acknowledging that another person matters deeply to me.

And when I don’t know what to do, maybe the question isn’t, “How do I stop caring?”

Maybe it’s:

“What would caring respectfully look like today?”

Sometimes that might mean smiling and saying hey.
Someday it might mean having a real conversation.
And sometimes it might mean doing absolutely nothing and trusting that I don’t have to know the ending yet.

This is a whole new way of caring for me.

And maybe this second chance isn’t only teaching me something about him.

Maybe it’s teaching me something about my own heart.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Hearted Person- A Poem

Summer of Peace- A Poem

A Prayer for Teachers about Spiritual Warfare