What My Patience Really Means

Over the last two days, I have recognized an important pattern in the way I support children who are emotionally or behaviorally dysregulated.

What people often describe simply as “patience” is actually a larger professional skill set.

When a child is having a difficult moment, I naturally tend to:
• Notice changes in the child’s behavior and emotional state.
• Read nonverbal cues and recognize when the child is becoming dysregulated.
• Lower my own voice, energy, and intensity instead of matching the child’s escalation.
• Remain calm and give the child time to process.
• Listen to what the child is communicating.
• Build connection and reassurance.
• Use simple, consistent behavioral boundaries.
• Adjust my response to the individual child instead of treating every situation the same.
• Help the child move toward emotional and behavioral regulation.
• Maintain connection while still holding the child accountable for appropriate behavior.

Professional terms that describe these strengths include:
• Behavioral de-escalation
• Co-regulation
• Relational de-escalation
• Active listening
• Emotional-regulation support
• Behavioral observation
• Recognition of nonverbal cues
• Calm and consistent limit-setting
• Individualized behavioral support
• Experience-informed crisis response
• Patient, consistent behavioral support
• Connection with accountability

The clearest school-based description of this skill set is:

“Provides individualized behavioral and emotional-regulation support to students through co-regulation, de-escalation, active listening, patience, and calm, consistent limit-setting.”

This helps explain why people have told me that I am patient. They may be seeing the outside of something more complex. I am not simply tolerating difficult behavior. I am staying regulated myself, reading the child, allowing processing time, adjusting my response, and helping the child regain control.

It also helps explain why I may feel overwhelmed in a chaotic whole-classroom environment while still having tremendous patience when I am focused on one child who needs support. Those situations require very different kinds of energy.

These skills are not completely new. They are skills I developed through years of working with children, especially during my time at the children’s shelter. What is new is that I am recognizing them and finally have professional language for them.

A strong way for me to describe this professionally is:

“I remain calm and consistent during student dysregulation and give students the time and individualized support they need to regain emotional and behavioral control.”

The bigger realization: “patient” is true, but it is only one word for a much deeper professional strength — helping dysregulated children through calm, individualized, relational support.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Hearted Person- A Poem

Summer of Peace- A Poem

A Prayer for Teachers about Spiritual Warfare