Learning What Love Really Means

I’ve known 1 Corinthians 13 for a long time, and I’ve heard it used at weddings so many times that it was easy to think of it mainly as a marriage verse.

But I’m realizing now that it isn’t only about marriage. It’s about how I love people throughout my life—and different relationships can teach me different parts of the same Scripture.

Right now, I think one of the hardest parts I’m learning is:

“Love does not demand its own way.”

I can care about someone deeply and still give them the freedom to choose.

I can hope an old friendship becomes something new again without demanding that it happen. I can leave the door open without pulling someone through it. I can be friendly without chasing, care without controlling, and hope without turning that hope into an expectation.

And maybe I’m learning the rest of the passage again too.

Love is patient when I don't have the answers yet.

Love is kind in how I treat someone even when I'm uncertain.

Love is not jealous when someone else gets time or closeness that I wish I had.

Love doesn't demand its own way when I want a friendship but understand that the other person gets to choose too.

Love keeps no record of wrongs when I remember what happened in the past but don't require someone to spend the present paying for it.

Love always hopes when I allow myself to believe something good could happen without deciding that it must.

And love endures when I can carry uncertainty without letting it control me.

Maybe I didn't fail to learn this Scripture before. Maybe life is simply giving me another place to practice it.

Marriage has its own lessons about love—commitment, forgiveness, partnership, service, and endurance. Friendship can teach another side of love: caring about someone without possessing them, allowing them freedom, respecting boundaries, and accepting that I cannot choose for both people.

That's what pastors mean when they say 1 Corinthians 13 isn't just a marriage passage. It can follow us into every kind of relationship.

Same Scripture. Different relationship. Different lesson. Different season of my life.

And perhaps the question God is teaching me to ask isn't simply, “How much do I love this person?”

Maybe it's:

“How can I love this person well when I cannot control what they give me in return?”

That's harder.

But maybe that's exactly why I'm finally understanding these words in a way I never have before. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Good Hearted Person- A Poem

Summer of Peace- A Poem

A Prayer for Teachers about Spiritual Warfare